What to Do When a Cyber Security Incident Occurs
If you are in the middle of a cybersecurity incident, it is important to remain calm. It is an understandable instinct to shut down everything and not tell anyone what is happening.
However, that can lead to even more problems. It’s crucial that you call in an experienced team to handle the situation. Cybersecurity incidents are not something that your typical IT team can deal with effectively.
While this checklist for cybersecurity responses is far from all-inclusive, it’s meant as an idea starter for your company and your cybersecurity team. Below are a few critical measures to consider, should you discover or seriously suspect a breach.
- DON’T power down
- Call in the professionals
- Have a strict chain of custody
- Treat the breach like a communicable disease
- Establish a checklist and audit often
- Know who to tell and when to tell them
- Understand that a breach affects more than your organization